Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Rose for Emily #2

After I read the story, I thought that I would have a better understanding about the title. Why did Faulkner choose a rose, of all flowers to give to Emily? When I think of roses, I think of happiness and love. However, Emily is portrayed as the complete opposite of this. She is alone in her house, secluded from the rest of the town. She is judged constantly by those around her, and she doesn't seem to be happy all by herself. I looked through the story twice and couldn't figure out why the author came up with the title. Is the rose a symbol for something possibly? I thought that maybe it had something to do with the fact that people felt sorry and had sympathy for her. Then I thought that maybe the rose had something to do with funeral flowers, because that is the only time that flowers were mentioned. I know the rose has to have some significance, but I just can't figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment