Monday, March 21, 2011

Blog #3 Literary Term: Theme

"I lifted Hassan's mattress and planted my new watch and a handful of Afghani bills under it. I waited another thirty minutes. Then I knocked on Baba's door and told what I hoped would be the last in a long line of shameful lies." -Page 104

THEME: the insight about human life that is revealed in a literary work

Througout the half of the book that I have read so far, one common theme regarding the character of Amir has stood out to me. From his early years as a child even up until his early twenties, Amir constantly thinks about himself. During his childhood, his number one priority is getting the approval and love from his father that he has always wanted. Amir wants this more than anything, and he is willing to do anything to get it. He lets his best friend get raped just so he could have the last kite from the kite fighting tournament. Then, he lies about Hassan and Ali stealing his new watch and money. He never thinks about how his decisions have the power to change the course of someone's life. As Amir grows up and immigrates to America with his father Baba, there are still times that he shows his selfish side. For example, when Baba gets sick and may have cancer, Amir's first thoughts revolve around himself. He asks, "What about me, Baba? What am I supposed to do?". He is supposed to be a grown man who was learned to care for himself, but he still relies on Baba. Because he needs to change, I hope that Amir learns to not be selfish in the second half of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment