Thursday, September 23, 2010

"next to of course god america i"

When I first read this poem, I didn't like E.E. Cumming's punctuation styles and methods. There are only two words that are capitalized in the entire poem, but they are outside of the quotation marks in the piece. This was very strange for me because the title of the poem was not even capitalized. Words that are emphasized with respect such as God and America are not even capitalized in the poem. Overall, I wasn't a fan of the lack of punctuation and capitalization of Cummings. Although I didn't like Cumming's writing style and format, I did appreciate the meaning of the poem. I liked how the author incorporated allusions to two famous patriotic songs, The Star Spangled Banner and My Country 'Tis of Thee. I liked the fact that the author basically called out people who say things just to say them but don't actually mean what they say. I saw this poem as criticizing a politician who is giving a speech. The idea of a glass of water at the end of a rapid speech just reminded me of a debate atmosphere or setting. Also, politicians are known for saying what people want to hear and saying what sounds good, so I think this poem was a satirical piece emphasizing the practices and methods of politicians in society today.

1 comment: