Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Page 27-Vernacular

So far for me, this book has been really confusing. I feel like Hemingway's style of writing and structure throw me off. I think he jumps from one scene to another without transitions, introduces characters that are difficult to remember, and incorporates confusing settings and plots. Even with all of these factors that make the book challenging for me, the vernacular of the characters still stood out to me. With all of the chaos from the numerous characters and the plot that shifts quickly, the vernacular is one thing that helps me comprehend the story a little bit better. As the story takes place in Paris during this particular part of the book, Hemingway incorporates French vocabulary and diction into his writing. When I saw the words such as bal musette, fiacre, and poules in the text, I was able to better understand the plot as well as the culture and language of where the story took place. I think this allowed me to connect to the book in an easier way. Hemingway's placement of French words in the book made the story seem less distant and more relatable to me.

"The dancing-club was a bal musette in the Rue de la Montagne Sainte Genevieve."

3 comments:

  1. I agree!!! I think I'm confused because it's easy for me to skim read and understand, but I can't do that with this novel because he does seem like he's all over the place.

    It reminds me of Gilmore Girls because they are always talking extremely fast. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I feel like the people move from one place to another so quickly. So far, I definitely like the other book better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. example of where it jumps without transition?

    ReplyDelete