Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Things They Carried: Kiowa

I know this is a book about war, but I hate how the characters that I like all end up dying. When O'Brien went back to the time when Kiowa died, it was so depressing not only because I like Kiowa, but I also like Norman Bowker too. I was so sad to hear about Kiowa passing away in the book because I thought he was a genuine person and a very good friend. In my opinion, he was a kind and decent person throughout the whole war. When O'Brien killed the man from My Khe, Kiowa was there for him and supported him. Kiowa talked him through it and never left his side. While Azar was making rude and uncalled for comment about the body, Kiowa helped O'Brien understand that he made the right decision and reminded O'Brien that they were in a war. Kiowa was sympathetic and considerate of how O'Brien was feeling after the shocking situation. He was a true friend to O'Brien, even during the hardest times in O'Brien's life when he needed Kiowa the most.

1 comment: