Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Things They Carried: Field Trip

I think that it's very interesting that O'Brien took his daughter Kathleen that was ten years old to Vietnam. I was amazed at how well his daughter was behaving at such a young age. I think that trip was a good chance for Kathleen to learn about a war that her father fought in that was so distant to her. Also, I think the trip was a great opportunity for O'Brien to have closure from the war. I felt that O'Brien seeing Vietnam at peace really allowed him to be at peace as well. Even though the trip was a pretty positive experience in my opinion, there were parts of the trip that were extremely difficult for O'Brien. Visiting the places where combat and fighting took place must have been unpleasant and hard to endure. Having to remember all of his times in Vietnam, both good and bad, must have been an indescribable experience. Even twenty years after the war ended, I was amazed at the fact that O'Brien still was able to recall the memories like they happened yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I guess traumatic experiences tend to stick more clearly in people's memory

    ReplyDelete