Friday, July 9, 2010

The Things They Carried: Conclusion

Even though the ending of the book was really sad, I really did like the book. I liked the fact that I could see what was happening when he retold war stories. I enjoyed never knowing what was coming next and how he kept me guessing. I liked the way that O'Brien incorporated the entire spectrum of war in his book, both good times and bad times. Also, I thought that O'Brien's honesty made the book seem so lifelike and real. I feel like I was able to learn a decent amount from this book. After reading it, I know not only more about the way war really is but also how to write with passion, emotion, and inspiration. O'Brien's style and method of writing really appeals to me. I love the fact that he was motivated by a tragedy, but he kept moving forward to make something positive out of the experience. Overall, O'Brien's storytelling was very interesting and inspiring to me.

"I'm skimming across the surface of my own history, moving fast, riding the melt beneath the blades, doing loops and spins, and when I take a high leap into the dark and come down thirty years later, I realize it is as Tim trying to save Timmy's life with a story."

1 comment:

  1. when you say that you like that you could "see" what was happening, do you mean O'Brien's imagery allowed you to see it? or that you could pick up on the foreshadowing and know what to expect?

    ReplyDelete