Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog #10 The Importance of the Past

"As I waited for his reply, my mind flashed back to a winter day from long ago, Hassan and I sitting on the snow beneath a leafless sour cherry tree. I had played a cruel game with Hassan that day, toyed with him, asked him if he would chew dirt to prove his loyalty to me. Now I was the one under the microscope, the one who had to prove my worthiness. I deserved this." -Page 355

The past plays such an important role in "The Kite Runner". All of the characters are affected by the past in some way or another in the plot of the story. However, the most important characters that deal with their pasts on a regular basis are Amir and Sohrab. Amir's past comes up when he constantly deals with emotions like anxiety and guilt. He experienced these feelings from the many things that happened between Hassan and him. Amir also deals with his past when he meets Assef once again in order to get custody of Sohrab. In addition to Amir, Sohrab also must cope with the issues of his past. Sohrab is constantly reminded of the brutal death of his innocent parents by Talibs. He is also scarred by the abuse that he received from Assef. Assef left Sohrab with emotional damage and distress because of physical and sexual abuse. The pasts of Amir and Sohrab are such a big deal because they define the two characters overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment