Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Blog #7 Literary Term: Point of View

"...we entered the hut, the fiend with an air of exultation, I with a heavy heart and depressed spirits. But I consented to listen, and seating myself by the fire which my odious companion had lighted, he thus began his tale." -page 70

Point of View: the vantage point from which the writer tells the story

This story is told in the first person point of view. It is different from most books that have the first person point of view because there are multiple narrators during different sections of the book. At all points, one of the characters are describing things and telling the story from their viewpoint. The book first begins with Robert Walton's perspective for a short time, and then it quickly moves to Victor Frankenstein's framestory. On page 70, there is another shift in point of view from Frankenstein to the monster. This shows the reader what emotions the monster is feeling and what challenges he has gone through. This transition is important because it allows the reader to better understand the background of the monster. The change in point of view at this point was significant for me personally because it got rid of the stereotypical views of the monster in my mind. It made me step back and take a look at the situation in the monster's eyes, which caused me to feel sympathy for him when I hadn't before he told his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment