Thursday, April 21, 2011

Blog #9 The Monster's Request

"You must create a female for me, with whom I can live in the interchange of those sympathies necessary for my being. This alone you can do; and I demand it of you as a right which you must not refuse to concede." -page 104

At this point in the story, the monster presents Victor with his idea that it would be appropriate for Victor to create him a companion. During this conversation between Victor and the monster, I feel sympathy for both characters at different times. First, I feel bad for the monster. He has been rejected by people over and over again, and he has no one that will interact with him. The monster just wants to love and be loved, but his appearance is too much for humans to handle. I do feel bad that he is always alone and has no female companion, but I also feel bad for Frankenstein in this situation. He doesn't want anything to do with the monster at this point, but he has to make a difficult decision. Either way he decides, there are negative consequences that Victor must face. The monster sort of blackmails Victor into consenting to his plans. With his safety and the safety of his friends and family in jeopardy, Victor has no choice but to agree with what the monster wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment