Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog #7 Literary Term: Climax

Climax: the point in a plot that creates the greatest intensity, suspense, or interest

"The slingshot made a thhwiiiiit sound when Sohrab released the cup. Then Assef was screaming. He put his had where his left eye had been just a moment ago..." -Page 291
"Suddenly I was on my knees, screaming. Screaming through my clenched teeth. Screaming until I thought my throat would rip and my chest explode..." -Page 343

I think that there are two important climactic points in this novel that stuck out to me. The first of the two would be during the brutal fight between Assef and Amir. The suspense reaches its highest point when Sohrab has the loaded slingshot and is threatening Assef is he doesn't stop hurting Amir. The moment that Sohrab decides to shoot the slingshot is a huge turning point in the story because it ultimately saves Amir's life. I think that the second climax is when Amir walks in the bathroom to tell Sohrab that they can go to America. When he walks in and screams, the reader realizes that something terrible obviously happened to Sohrab. Because Amir doesn't directly say what happened to Sohrab, the reader experiences intensity and interest in the condition of him. Amir's point of view creates suspense at this point in the story because the chapter ends with the reader having no idea about Sohrab's safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment