Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog #9 Half Brothers

"I began to see where he was going. But I didn't want to hear the rest of it. I had a good life in California, pretty Victorian home with a peaked roof, a good marriage, a promising writing career, in-laws who loved me. I didn't need any of this shit."
-Page 222

This is the point in the plot where Amir finds out from Rahim Khan that he and Hassan are half brothers. At this time when I was reading, I felt sympathy for a number of people when I figured out what was going on. I felt bad for Hassan first because he never knew that Baba was his real father. He was always in the background and never got to experience the life that Baba could have provided for him. He never lived the life that he deserved to experience. Secondly, I felt bad for Amir because he realizes that his childhood was based off of one huge lie. He treated his brother Hassan horribly, and now he has to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. He also has to live with the fact that his father couldn't love his brother the way that he wanted to. Next, I felt bad for Baba, who had to keep this affair a secret for so long. I sympathize with him also because he could never have an ideal relationship with Hassan and provide for him fully. He had to lie and keep his emotions in check for years and years. Lastly, I felt upset for Rahim Khan. He was brave enough to tell Amir the truth, yet Amir rejects him and becomes angry with him. This revealing moment in the story is a huge deal because it evokes emotion and purpose for multiple characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment