Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Conclusion

So, I finally finished this book, and I don't really understand the conclusion. I'm not even sure you could say that there really was a conclusion. I feel like Hemingway just leaves the reader at a random point. I hate books and movies like that. Nothing irritates me more than not knowing and having a cliffhanger ending. Does Brett end up being with Jake after all? Or does she end up going back to Mike? Would he even be willing to take her back? I still have unanswered questions about what really happens in the end with all of the characters. I don't know if Hemingway does this on purpose, but it makes me really mad. I liked the other book way better, because it actually ended at a definite point. There was no confusion and no questions asked.

"Isn't it pretty to think so?" THE END.....?

2 comments:

  1. I agree Hannah. I kind of left closed the book wondering what just happened. It almost seems that the book started the same way it ended!

    ReplyDelete