Monday, August 2, 2010

The Sun Also Rises:Style

I have about 100 pages left in this book, but I've noticed that Hemingway has a particular way of writing. After reading Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, Hemingway's style is extremely different and somewhat hard to adjust to for me. Throughout his writing, Hemingway uses short and simple sentences most of the time. O'Brien, on the other hand, uses long and descriptive sentences. Even though they both write about the similar topic of war, their methods of doing so couldn't be any different. Personally, I prefer O'Brien's style to Hemingway's style. There were few, if any, points in O'Brien's novel where I misunderstood something that happened or was confused. However, with The Sun Also Rises, I have been confused trying to follow the characters since the very beginning of the book. I feel like O'Brien was so much more straight forward and got to the point in his story, while Hemingway gives every unimportant detail in a monotomous manner. Even though I like O'Brien's style better, I'm hoping that this book gets a little better at the end and that I will understand everything about it in the end.

1 comment: