Monday, August 9, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Quote

"You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another."

I think this is a very powerful quote. These words are said by Jake to Cohn when Cohn is trying to get Jake to go with him to South America. Cohn obviously isn't happy at this time in his life, but I don't think it's because he is in Paris. Apparently, Jake and I think the same thing. I think Jake's void in life and habit of going through the motions can be attributed to his experience in the war. I think it also has something to do with his crazy social life and drinking habits. Cohn most likely thought that he could escape the real world and walk away from his existing problems by moving locations. However, I think that when he and his crew travel there are actually more problems created. The bottom line is that Robert Cohn thought he could step away from reality, but Jake set him straight and made him realize that one has to face reality wherever they are.

1 comment: