Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Robert Cohn

When Cohn was made fun of by Barnes and all of his friends, I felt sympathy for him. But after he fights Barnes, Mike, and Pedro Romero, I started to dislike him. I am not a huge fan of the way Robert Cohn worries too much about what people think about him and how people discriminate against him. I don't agree with the fact that people discriminate against him, but I think that he could react in a much better manner. Also, I think Cohn tries too hard to be accepted by the crowd of people that Jake hangs around with. I would think that Cohn could take a hint that he isn't really wanted and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the group. I understand that he was in love with Brett and could be upset by her ignoring him after they went away together and had an affair, but he doesn't handle the situation very well. Cohn uses his affair with Brett against Mike because that is the one thing that he has that can upset Mike. Cohn then expects everyone to forgive him immediately after he seriously hurt them. When that doesn't work out, he takes the easy way out and leaves with his problems unsolved.

"I'm going away in the morning." -Cohn

No comments:

Post a Comment