Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Mike Campbell

From the time that Mike was introduced into the story, I never really liked him. I feel like Mike just goes through life aimlessly with no purpose or motivation. Being a drunk and a bankrupt, I think the only thing that Mike has to look forward to is marrying Lady Brett Ashley. But then his hope is somewhat crushed when he finds out that Brett had an affair with Robert Cohn. I would be extremely upset if I found out that my fiance was with someone else, but Mike did not handle it very well at all. Instead of dealing with the issue in a mature manner, Mike went out and drank even more than he already did before he found out the bad news. He also didn't approach Cohn in an appropriate way. Instead, he made fun of Cohn in public in front of all of their friends and was completely immature. I think it's not very smart of Mike to make it such a huge priority to get even with Cohn, but not even make Brett take any responsibility for her part in the affair when it was probably her idea in the first place. I think that Mike would be a lot better off if he was willing to make some serious changes in his life.

1 comment: