Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: First Person Point of View

When I first starting reading The Sun Also Rises, I was confused about many things. But one of the biggest things that I struggled with was figuring out who the narrator was. Even though the first chapter is short, it wasn't until the end of that chapter that I figured out who the narrator was. I had to look at the conversation between Cohn and the unidentified character at the time in the cafe. When Robert Cohn said, "good-night Jake", I realized that Jake was telling the story. The Sun Also Rises is told from first person point of view. As I've been reading this second book, I have tried to compare different aspects of it to the first book I read, The Things They Carried. Even though the style of the two authors of these different novels couldn't be more different, the point of view from which the writer actually tells the story are the same. I just thought it was interesting that the two stories are extremely different, but their narration style is exactly alike.

1 comment: