Monday, August 9, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Quote

"You're really about the best friend I have, Jake."

After Cohn and Barnes got into a little fight, this quote was said by Cohn. I feel bad for Cohn, because I know that Barnes definitely doesn't feel the same way. For the most part, I feel like their friendship is superficial and fake. Like I mentioned before in one of my blogs, Cohn never really fit in with the crowd that Barnes hung out with. I never really understood how the two started hanging out together in the first place. Like Cohn and Barnes, I think that there are also other false relationships in this book. For example, Montoya takes care of Barnes because he is a great and enthusiastic fan of bullfighting. At first Barnes returns respect and loyalty to Montoya, but I think in the end he betrays Montoya when he helps Brett be with Pedro Romero. Montoya tried to keep Pedro with his people and away from outside influence, and Jake completely messed that up when he introduced Brett to Pedro Romero. I think that many people in this book all needed to learn how to be a better friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment