Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Sun Also Rises: Lady Brett Ashley

Throughout the entire book, Lady Brett Ashley has proven herself to be a very independent yet selfish woman. There are parts about her character that I like, and there are parts about her that I can't stand. I love the fact that she is so independent and does her own thing. She isn't concerned with how others view her or with what others think about her lifestyle. However, I don't like how Brett isn't up front with herself and her feelings. I hate how she is obviously in love with Jake Barnes but won't let herself have a relationship with him because of his war injury. She takes the easy way out by having affairs with numerous men. You can't get much more selfish than that. Overall, I think Lady Brett Ashley's priorities are not in order. But she is not the only character in this book with this problem, because that was the case with many people during the time period in which Brett lived.

1 comment:

  1. what specific excerpts are these based on? They seem to be generally speaking instead of digging deep into examples.

    ReplyDelete